NEW YORK, April 4, 2017, EyeLock LLC, a leader of iris-based identity authentication solutions, today announced that the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has issued U.S. Patent No. 9,613,281. The patent broadly covers the linking of an iris image with a face image acquired in sequence (during the same transaction) and represents the company’s 45th issued patent.
“The issuance of our latest patent is very timely given the multi-modal biometric capabilities that have recently come to market on flagship smartphones,” said Jim Demitrieus, CEO of EyeLock. “The patent is for a method in which images of the iris and face are tracked in a sequence that validates that both images are from the same, live person. The importance in the process is the real-time tracking that links the iris image to the face image.”
Eyelock’s patented method
Mr. Demitrieus noted that a mobile phone incorporating EyeLock’s patented method would use iris authentication sequentially linked to facial imaging or recognition to provide a high level of assertion that the person conducting the transaction is real and not a machine or a hack.
The patented method is critical to the Internet of Things (IoT) framework by providing:
• a mechanism against fraud by assuring that iris biometrics are obtained in real time from the same live person as the facial image, even if these images are captured by different cameras;
• stronger authentication where both iris and facial images are used in multi-factor authentication;
• capability for continuous authentication of a user (e.g., throughout a session) that switches between the use of iris and facial biometrics as they are available;
• non-repudiation of biometrics used in a transaction by capturing and retaining a corresponding, recognizable facial image for the transaction that is retrievable as needed;
• deterrence of fraud in a transaction authorized via biometrics by capturing and retaining a corresponding, recognizable facial image for the transaction that is retrievable as needed; and
• An effective means for user redress in a transaction authorized via biometrics by capturing and retaining a corresponding, recognizable facial image for the transaction that is retrievable as needed.
EyeLock LLC, a majority owned subsidiary of Voxx International Corporation, is an acknowledged leader in advanced iris authentication for the Internet of Things (IoT), providing the highest level of security with EyeLock ID™ technology. Iris authentication is highly secure because no two irises are alike and the iris is the most accurate human identifier other than DNA. The company’s significant IP portfolio, including more than 100 patents and patents pending, and proprietary technology enables the convenient and secure authentication of individuals across physical and logical environments. And embedded across consumer and enterprise products and platforms, eliminating the need for PINs and passwords.